Wednesday, January 29, 2014

DIY Sewing Adventure #1 - Glider Cover

     The last time I was behind a sewing machine was in the 6th grade. WOW! I'm feeling a little old right now. So, I brought the glider from Madre's house, the one that was in my nursery way back when, to our house to use in the kids' room. The original cover was a bit stretched out and had only a couple stains and dried glitter glue on it, not bad considering it had 12 years of hard use through 5 kids before it retired to the basement. It was time to retire the old red cover, but buying a new cover to fit was impossible, so it was time to pull out the sewing machine and get to work. I went to my local fabric shop and picked out a printed number that fit the brightly colored jungle theme I was aiming for.

     It wasn't perfect the first time around, the second, or even the third, but, after a couple hours, Madre and I had it done. Needless to say, I love the results!

                                                    The Original

                                                    The New Cover

Hats off to the Canadian furniture company that made this sturdy beast of a glider! Old, but still kickin'. We definitely love it. And, just in case you were wondering, yes, that is a Kraft Macaroni and Cheese colored accent wall. I just about had a heart attack when I realized what color it was drying, but, now that we have other bright colors in the room, it works... and we love it!