Saturday, November 8, 2014

We're Semi-Official!

      Tuesday was the last day of Red's first semester, so she had the day off school. Most of the morning was filled with her taking over DH's chair and watching Duck Dynasty, while I hand-picked and combed large, red, curly, hairballs out of our carpets throughout the house. I was positive that I put this fun task on the sticky note list of chores I gave her for the day, along with putting away her laundry (that I had already washed and folded). So, I'm not exactly sure how I ended up the one crawling around on my hands and knees, with a small trash bag full of human hair. One thing is for sure, she's getting me broken in for when the kids arrive. Haha! The rest of the day we went shopping and got her some new volleyball kneepads, cardigans, and dressy, leather boots. We had lunch at Sonic so she could get several foot long hotdogs (what can I say, the girl LOVES 'em), a slushy, and play on the playground. It was so nice to spend time out of the house, even though it was chilly. Soon the days will be too cold for outings like that.

It might be cheating if your feet don't leave the ground.


      Yesterday (Thursday), around 3 pm, I found out we are officially a licensed foster family. Words really cannot describe how elated we are. Yeah, I don't really have much to say about that. I just don't have the words for how amazing it was to finally know everything was set and ready. I called DH at work (he didn't answer, so I texted him so he'd get the message ASAP), called my mom (she didn't answer, so after a couple tries, I left her a voicemail), texted my best friends, and called GDaddy (he answered!!! yippee!). Then, I posted to Facebook. We are officially licensed, but I still feel like we aren't completely official until we have some little feet running in the house.

      Today, I got up early and got everyone out the door for school and work. Then it was time for me to get ready for the day. Mom called right as I was brushing my teeth and finishing up my to do list. It may have even been a record making phone call too, under an hour. I cleaned Red's rat nest out of the back of the car. Literally, a nest of her clothes, sports equipment and trash that she falls asleep in every time we drive more than 10 minutes. I got the car seats installed, one in each stage, just in case.

 I should have left the car seats in after the god kids left,
beige is just so boring in comparison to the car seat colors
 (the infant seat has yellow piping on the other side, love it!).

I was surprised how hard it was to leave the area. We always travel to meet GDaddy for dinner when he's in our state visiting family, but I had a rock in my stomach tonight. I was convinced that leaving a 30 mile radius of DSS was a bad idea, and we would get a call when we are an hour and a half away from home. Luckily, I know an awesome foster mommy who was able to share some of her waiting experience with me. She validated my concern, but also told me it was okay to go. I'm glad she was able to lend me some peace. It was so good to go and visit with family. In the car on the way home from the restaurant, GDaddy was asking me all about when and how the call would come. Then my phone rang. The whole car fell silent waiting to hear if it was "the call." The number wasn't saved in my phone, but had the first several digits of the DSS building, so I answered. There was no one on the other end. Thinking it was a bad connection, I hung up and called them back, AND GUESS WHAT..... it was a telemarketer. Good thing they had an out of service number message because I would have lost it (out loud) if there had been a unfortunate person to hear my rant about telemarketers calling cell phones.

      All in all, a wonderful evening, and a great dry run for "the call." Whenever it comes, we're ready for it!



My verse of the week:  Isaiah 43:1-7New International Version (NIV)

Israel’s Only Savior

43 But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
    nations in exchange for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
    I will bring your children from the east
    and gather you from the west.
I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
    and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
Bring my sons from afar
    and my daughters from the ends of the earth
everyone who is called by my name,
    whom I created for my glory,
    whom I formed and made.